Monday, June 6, 2005

learning

Hey ... I am finally finding interesting (readable) books with an Ethiopian (or at least African) subject.  One book was fiction, set in some other country in Africa called "The Number One Ladies Detective Agency", it was an easy read and I want to believe it gave me some insight into the culture.  Another book, that I am currently reading is called ???? (something like Journey into the dark star land ...)  anyways, it's a travel narrative about very recent travels that one man made through Africa ... part of which is spent in Ethiopia.  I am definately learnign something about the culture, history and politics through reading that book.  Specifically it seems that each country, region etc has a specific history and culture but that there is a flow throughout the continent, the borders are fluid (culturally speaking).  Reading the book(s) is making me very excited about my upcoming travels.  The travel book is a little addictive, I am finding myself staying up late late at night reading it.  It isn't necessarily an easy read as I am unfamiliar with the names, history, politics etc so skimming over parts is definately not an option.  Once I finish this book, I believe that my brain will be ready for the Ethiopian history book that I bought months ago and tried to read but really couldn't get past the introduction because it was all so foreign and I couldn't place any of the events into my head in order to connect them with other world events ... it's complicated to explain, but the best I can do is say ... it was like I was reading a foreign language (although it was English)....

This morning I went to the goverment center very very early ... had the joy of experiencing their first day with the new security system ... (it seemed like their first day anyways) ... and I obtained three certified copies of my birth certificate ... I only know I need one but I figured, the way this process is going it cant hurt to grab extras while I am there. 

rolling right along

stacy

No comments: