Monday, July 17, 2006

totoddlers

Lucy had a visit to the Mall of America this evening.  She was so engaged.  I could see her really seeing things, interesting things, and most importantly connecting with people, especially children.  Anytime we were near any sort of music, her head would start bopping.  It was fun to just watch her noticing things.  When she was much smaller, I saw her eyes light up for some mardi gras beads at Claire's ... I couldn't resist getting them for her ... they have for months now been far and away her favorite toy.  The child knows what she wants.  She is beginning to get much more resistant to food.  She'll accept it into her mouth, but push it out right away, even the old tried and true foods. She's really growing up. I love how she nods her head when I ask her a question, complete serious look on her face ... "Lucy do you want a banana?"  (head nods like, yes mother I would just love to have a banana, thank you very much). Sometimes she shakes her head no.    This Saturday is the Ethiopian day picnic with Children's Home Society.  Families are travelling from all over, and some of the officials from MOLSA (part of the Ethiopian government that governs adoptions ... Ministers of Labor and Social Affairs) will be there, as well as Asnake (the director of the orphanage).  Last year I was at the picnic with a photo of Lucy ... chasing Asnake down ... "how is Eskedar?" Asnake's response "beautiful" ...  I met families at that picnic who were also waiting to travel,  we are all still connected and travelled within weeks of each other.  I can't wait to see everyone again.  Today again I am reminded of how emotional adoption is ...what a resposibility we carry as parents to these amazing children, to their birth families, their birth country and to each other.  

No comments: