Friday, May 20, 2005

Adoption class

I have been consumed with adoption education for the past two days.  What a trip!  I assumed (partially correctly) that a lot of people would annoy me because they would ask stupid questions. That didn't really happen much.  I got a lot of information that I already knew either through social work school, through my own searches or because my friends have recently been through the international adoption process.  I now hold in my hands the questions to my self study, which must be completed before I start my next step, the home study.  I met my social worker, Karne.  I also got some more information about the Ethiopia program.  The program director said that her best guess at this point is that people who start the process now could be travelling to get their child by November.  NOVEMBER.  Wow!  She also said that we need to start the US Immigration paperwork now, rathar then after the home study (which is the way most other programs work), because of the speed of the program.  We saw some videos of the orphanage, cute!  She has adopted 4 kids from Ethiopia herself.  There was also a single mom on the adoptive parent child who has adopted a girl from Ethiopia about a year ago.  It's all very exciting, overwhelming, emotional, exhausting ...   More to come.

No comments: